IGNORED

I picked up a Sony Trinitron CRT TV for TEN BUCKS!

post-12574-0-92141200-1396662549_thumb.jpg

I have a three-way composite switch and a VGA-to-NTSC converter so I can run MAME and other emulators to the TV as well as connecting my plug-and-play games and Flashback 2 and 4! I was watching the movie "Jobs" earlier today, and I saw the scene where Jobs gets Woz to solve his engineering problems for the Atari "Breakout" game he was working on (...the movie took a lot of liberties with the historical facts in the incident, but that's a discussion for another day...). I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool to travel back in time to those days, knowing what I know now about the future of technology"? For me, my little "man-corner" is really more like a time-machine, where I can experience an 8-bit fantasy world in glorious NTSC cathode-ray-tube goodness! I'm very excited. I'll try to get some better pictures during the day.

• Like 9

@travistouchdown-yeah I lugged a 32" Sony Wega upstairs and I swore something on me was going to detach.

But oh was the pain worth it. As much I am liking the looks of emulation on an HDTV, playing a game like Duck Hunt and seeing how crisp the visuals are in SD, it's hard to dump the tube.

It's not bragging, it's complaining. I wish I could get a great image on a light TV.

I don't know if I'd call it a 'great' image, but I have a Toshiba 32A33 TV that's large (32"), very light for its size, and has a pretty good image quality.

Edited by jmetal88

Speaking of CRT's in general- if you are going to look for one make sure to get a late model one with an HDMI port- they are worth all their ample weight in gold in terms of how good even current-gen games look on them. There's something truly great about being able to enjoy 360 and PS3 games in high def (even at 1080i) on a CRT set. Get them while they can still be found!

Speaking of CRT's in general- if you are going to look for one make sure to get a late model one with an HDMI port- they are worth all their ample weight in gold in terms of how good even current-gen games look on them. There's something truly great about being able to enjoy 360 and PS3 games in high def (even at 1080i) on a CRT set. Get them while they can still be found!

Yeah but kiss the ability to play gun games goodbye.

Yeah but kiss the ability to play gun games goodbye.

I was about to say the same thing. CRT sets with HDMI inputs have to upscale SD signals to display them, which creates too much lag in the picture for light gun games to function properly (and in my opinion, light gun games are one of the big reasons for still owning a CRT).

I am moving to a much smaller place and will have zero room for any cool CRT monitors. I see nice flat face CRT tube monitors all the time cheap. 32" and so on. I just wish I had room for one and that they aren't so heavy. That is why I posted recently asking if LCD tvs could have decent pictures for classic video games.

Ironically, I went to Salvation Army today and saw that they had 2 Sony WEGA Trinton models. They were the bigger ones, probably 32 or 36 but they were 4:3 aspect ratio. Perfect for gaming I imagine. ONe of them had a huge amount of inputs including DVI/hdcp and the matching base. 100 bux. Too much money but man, if I had a big place, I would be tempted.

• 2 months later...

I have a three-way composite switch and a VGA-to-NTSC converter ..

Can you tell us exactly what you got?

post-12574-0-09265300-1405165636_thumb.jpg

The 3-way switch is one I just picked up at a Big Lots! for ten bucks or something years ago.

post-12574-0-73613100-1405165731_thumb.jpg

The VGA-to-NTSC converter is by Sewell. I don't know if they make them anymore. I ordered it online and I think it was like twenty bucks.

• 2 months later...

attachicon.gifIMG_0575.JPG

I've been using this 1982 Sony Trinitron KV-1913 for my second gen systems. Over 30 years old and still going strong. Coincidently I have a Intellivsion II hooked up to it and It's the exact same television pictured on the side of it's box.

That is flat-out amazing. It just screams early 80's! :)