Amber White....hen or rooster?

ChickieBirds

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
I bought this chicken a couple weeks ago, was told it was a hen but the wattles and comb seems to be getting bigger. I'm not sure the exact age but it was hatched this year. I'm guessing around 5 months old? It's a couple inches taller than my other hens that are probably pretty close to the same age.

I was told this is an "Amber White" which is apparently a cross between a Rhode Island Red and a Rhode Island White.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that I have no chickens myself, but that looks like a roo to me. Those hackle feathers look long and skinny like a roosters would be. I can't make out any saddle feathers though. Hopefully someone else that knows more then I do will come along soon.

That is a cockerel. The feathers of the hackles (neck) are pointed. That's a cockerel feature. The super tall legs? Again, cockerel feature as the cockerel must be taller to better mount a hen in breeding and for a high, look out position in the flock. The large comb and wattles, (waddle is how a duck walks, LOL) also are a cockerel's distinguishing characteristic at this age.

I bought two this fall, I thought they were all pullets from Tractor Supply. I noticed one was growing faster and is leggier than the other. I also noticed it was developing long frilly neck feathers like a English game rooster. They also spar a bit and puff up their neck feathers. And it’s wattle and comb is larger than the other. But they also had different colors so I wasn’t sure. I already have 3 roosters. Hard to say. Once they stop growing and start crowing you’ll sure be knowing;)

Attachments

• 91CD3983-A49D-418D-AD62-D85C4D4CD81B.jpeg
    91CD3983-A49D-418D-AD62-D85C4D4CD81B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 5E4F7045-1F64-4E9F-B4BC-1177242DEE46.jpeg
    5E4F7045-1F64-4E9F-B4BC-1177242DEE46.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom