Facor fuel filter recommendation (fake Racor 500FG)

Yngmar

Visit site
I've just replaced my fuel system and upgraded from a CAV filter to this Chinese clone of a Racor 500 FG (£54 incl. hose fittings instead of £180 from ASAP without). It has a few sharp edges from casting, which I removed with a small file and sharp knife, the O-rings were utter rubbish and needed replacing (a few pennies) and the included filter cartridge looked dubious and was discarded. Being a copy, it fits original Parker/Racor cartridges as well as fittings, spare parts and accessories.

If you don't mind the cheeky copy and think Parker/Racor have milked their many year old design for enough money by now, you can have the same thing for about 30 minutes work at less than a third of the cost. If not, that's fine too - no need to tell me, I've already installed mine ;)

You can read my article about the whole fuel system replacement on the Bavaria forums.

fuel_bits_SMALL.jpg

superheat6k

Visit site
Started fitting mine today. I used a thorough wrap of PTFE on the 1/4" BSPP threads with a smidge of loctite for good measure - I was surprised how stiff they were. Had I been patient I would have ordered some Dowty seals, but hey ho. I have also had to machine out the 3/8" BSPP outlet end of the fittings because the bore was too small to accept the 3/8" pipe.

These would not fit in the position of the original fleet guard units, so I am re-locating these to a different locker with isolating valves so I can shut the fuel off in an emergency without having to open the engine bay, and at the same adding a cross connection between the fuel lines after the filters. This is intended to be used for short term use only because I don't want to add further cross connections and isolations to the spill line.

The Chinese elements are fine - I had the 900 size on my last boat and they worked a treat.

Nice to see you are using Loctite 577 - this is IMHO the best pipe thread sealant available, but it does make your fingers smell a bit like a babies dirty nappy. It is also useful for refreshing tired O rings and gaskets.

simonfraser

Visit site
All for saving money, but surprised at using a cheap Chinese copy with possibly dubious plastic for such a vital bit of equipment ....

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I posted a couple of weeks ago on the same subject.

One reply was from a guy who had fitted and serviced hundreds of these units on diesel powered aircon units on Virgin Trains. No problems reported-the contrary in fact.

China is a huge country with huge numbers of vessels in commercial use. They have a space programme and manufacture just about everything.

These fuel filters are well made, from good materials and are very good value by comparison to a genuine Racor.

If I or Yngmar encounter trouble with possibly dubious plastic I feel sure you will be the first to be told............................

Splice

Visit site
1. Supporting rip-off products undermines the original manufacturers ability to reinvest and develop more new products (instead of just copying). Ripping off other companies IP is theft. It is what is helping China to swamp other economies. Not great.

2. Spending a few hours bringing an inferior product "up to standard" is OK but what do you value your time at?

3. Why compromise quality on such a vital element of your safety-critical propulsion system?

dankilb

Visit site
what do you value your time at?
I only wish mine was £100 for 20 minutes...

otherwise come off it, I’m not paying five times the amount for anything!

and my failsafe safety critical solution to support my propulsion system is a jerrycan full of clean diesel ?

Stemar

Visit site
Trouble is, that jerry can isn't connected to the fuel system. How long will it take to connect it up and get the engine going agaim, in the dark, with the boat leaping around and the crew screaming about the rocks getting closer?

If you want cheap and reliable, get to your friendly local car breaker and pick up a matched pair of spin-on filter bodies. A bit of pipe and some taps from ASAP or similar and you've got a pair of filters in parallel, so if one blocks at the wrong time, it's a matter of seconds to switch.

I don't even bother to change mine now until they get too rusty for my liking. My last ones did me ten years, so that probably more than paid for the bits

dankilb

Visit site
If you want cheap and reliable, get to your friendly local car breaker and pick up a matched pair of spin-on filter bodies. A bit of pipe and some taps from ASAP or similar and you've got a pair of filters in parallel, so if one blocks at the wrong time, it's a matter of seconds to switch.
Yup good suggestion. I’ve owned a series of Japanese trucks/vans/pickups and the ‘Denso’-style filter housings would be good for this. Blueprint sell new ones for under £40.

But there wouldn’t be space in our installation for two and I like the Racor-style clear bowl etc.

As all you’re buying is basically a casting and a bowl, which can be fully tested on the bench (i.e. pressure tested), I just can’t really see the harm/risk in it.

And why shouldn’t those of us with more limited means be allowed to play with Racors too?!! ?

Black Sheep

Visit site
1. Supporting rip-off products undermines the original manufacturers ability to reinvest and develop more new products (instead of just copying). Ripping off other companies IP is theft. It is what is helping China to swamp other economies. Not great.

2. Spending a few hours bringing an inferior product "up to standard" is OK but what do you value your time at?

3. Why compromise quality on such a vital element of your safety-critical propulsion system?

Thank you for bumping this thread - it's really useful to know that you can get cheaper than Racor. I wish I'd known before spending large amounts just for a brand name.

1. Ripping off other companies IP is theft
a. No it isn't
b. What IP is being ripped off? In another thread it was pointed out that Racor's patents have expired.

2. what do you value your time at?
Answered elsewhere. But more recent threads don't show the same need for fettling.

What makes you think there's any compromise on quality? Elsewhere, a large company is reported to have done extensive quality and safety testing and found no problem

Yngmar

Visit site
As this thread has been reawakened, here's the updated link for my fuel system refit: Fuel hose replacement, shut-off valve and Facor filter

Still happy with the filter housing five years and hundreds of engine hours later, although once the turbine bit at the bottom fell off and into the bowl. Didn't hinder fuel flow in any way though and when I got around to it I simply threaded it back on with a drop of Loctite 577 to keep it from vibrating loose again. I assume it had vibrated off or perhaps I hadn't tightened it enough.

With white diesel the transparent bowl is even better, as you can see more! :)

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site

Engage brain before operating mouth.

The Racor Patent has long expired, only copyright for trade name is still protected. Patents generally - but not always - have a 20 year life and must be renewed frequently with fees during this protection period. So, no IP theft.

The technology, now the Patent has expired is free for all to take advantage of,should they wish to. The fact that a copy can be bought for $40 US Dollars shipped might suggest Racor is charging a premium. :(

Bringing my 50 quid Racor copy up to my exacting standard took but a few minutes, it was purely cosmetic. A bit of fraze removed with my babbit metal bearing scraper from the metal casting edges and a bit of paint rubbed off where it had collected before dry.

I and First Mate have blued lots of dosh on an expensive boat which we will use while we are physically able. I dont compromise on quality, but I do want value for money.

My Racor copy, used in conjunction with the genuine OE one, is perfect for my needs.

To my mind, it was never a quality compromise, but a price one.

You pays yer money and yer takes yer choice - and I did!:cool:

Splice

Visit site
Engage brain before operating mouth.

The Racor Patent has long expired, only copyright for trade name is still protected. Patents generally - but not always - have a 20 year life and must be renewed frequently with fees during this protection period. So, no IP theft.

The technology, now the Patent has expired is free for all to take advantage of,should they wish to. The fact that a copy can be bought for $40 US Dollars shipped might suggest Racor is charging a premium. :(

Bringing my 50 quid Racor copy up to my exacting standard took but a few minutes, it was purely cosmetic. A bit of fraze removed with my babbit metal bearing scraper from the metal casting edges and a bit of paint rubbed off where it had collected before dry.

I and First Mate have blued lots of dosh on an expensive boat which we will use while we are physically able. I dont compromise on quality, but I do want value for money.

My Racor copy, used in conjunction with the genuine OE one, is perfect for my needs.

To my mind, it was never a quality compromise, but a price one.

You pays yer money and yer takes yer choice - and I did!:cool:
Copyright exists on the physical design. Copyright doesn't expire.

There is not only the legal question but the moral one. Just because a patent has expired does it give competitors the right to pass off copies?

As a wider issue, if you are generally happy for China to continue to undermine Western economies with RIP off products, keep buying them!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-091004_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-091004_Chrome.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 22

Stemar

Visit site
There is not only the legal question but the moral one. Just because a patent has expired does it give competitors the right to pass off copies?
If the (expired)patent holder is charging sensible prices, there won't be the incentive to make copies, apart from the Chinese ones of variable quality and they aren't exactly renowned for compliance with patent law unless it suits them.

If they're charging enough that a reputable company can make a similar item cheaper then, given that the original company has already amortised the tooling to make it, perhaps they shouldn't be so greedy.

Ianmorris

Visit site
I fitted on of the Chinese fake Racor 500fg units about 20 months ago. The plastic bowl has so much stress cracking in it I have taken it off before it falls apart and put the old CAV unit back on. I too had to fettle in in a number of areas when it was new. I am going to run a pressure test on some day soon and will report back. I like the Racor system and will be paying their high price but getting decent R&D and engineering.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I fitted on of the Chinese fake Racor 500fg units about 20 months ago. The plastic bowl has so much stress cracking in it I have taken it off before it falls apart and put the old CAV unit back on. I too had to fettle in in a number of areas when it was new. I am going to run a pressure test on some day soon and will report back. I like the Racor system and will be paying their high price but getting decent R&D and engineering.
I think you were unlucky with the cracking, I've had no issues at about the same age.

Portofino

Visit site
When I got my current boat the FG 900 s were cosmetically + there tails in a pretty dreadful state .
Genuine were iirc £380 each .
I ebayed theses Chinese for iirc £180 a pair inc tails .
I got the yard to fit along with new fuel hose .
Thats was @480 hrs , boats done 1000 now .
The only thing a water in fuel sensor hole developed a star crack in the bowl and started to weep .No show stopper it was just something I picked up on daily checks .
Anyhow a call to ASAP and they next day delivered a new plastic bowl , presume a genuine Parker ?
It fitted as if it was a Chinese and I was careful not to over torque up the WIF probe gland , which I suspect the original yard did , to star graze the bowl .

Obviously if they fell to pieces I wouldn’t hesitate to breeze into the local Chandler pay up and walk out with genuine PR , but they haven’t.
8200C48D-B0D4-4B21-BED3-242B8BFB065E.jpeg
There‘s one lurking behind those pipe the “ lesser spotted Chinese Parker Racor copy “:)
6 years old and still going .