Core Temp and CPU Temp

pelister

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
speed-fan.jpg

core_temp.jpg

I want to know that CPU temp shown by speed fan is is too high, do I need to see the core temps or the overall CPU temps. MY processor is i7-4790k with Seidon 120V Plus liquid cooler. I have checked with Hardware monitor too, the core temps are the same.

Moreover my room temp is 30 degree C when these readings were taken.

Solution
pelister,

Welcome to Tom's!

Core 0, 1, 2 & 3 in SpeedFan correspond to Core 0, 1, 2, & 3 in Core Temp.

Whenever you see temperatures in SpeedFan or Hardware Monitor that have values of 127 or 128, these indicate unassigned inputs which are erroneous, and can be ignored.

In your screenshot, SpeedFan provides for an analog "CPU" temperature sensor which is present on older processors such as Core 2 and 1st generation Core i variants. Since your 4th generation Core i processor doesn't have an analog "CPU" sensor, you can again ignore that input, which is also erroneous.

You can turn off unassigned sensor inputs in the "Configure" button. From there, you can also set the "Warning" temperature for each device, which will determine...

m7mod

Distinguished
well the core temp can be known from the cpu & the system it selfs that's why it's all the same , but the cpu from the fourth pin in you cpu cooler connector i think ( based on my using of speedfan )

CompuTronix

Intel Master
pelister,

Welcome to Tom's!

Core 0, 1, 2 & 3 in SpeedFan correspond to Core 0, 1, 2, & 3 in Core Temp.

Whenever you see temperatures in SpeedFan or Hardware Monitor that have values of 127 or 128, these indicate unassigned inputs which are erroneous, and can be ignored.

In your screenshot, SpeedFan provides for an analog "CPU" temperature sensor which is present on older processors such as Core 2 and 1st generation Core i variants. Since your 4th generation Core i processor doesn't have an analog "CPU" sensor, you can again ignore that input, which is also erroneous.

You can turn off unassigned sensor inputs in the "Configure" button. From there, you can also set the "Warning" temperature for each device, which will determine when the "flame" icon will turn on.

For more information about your processor temperatures, please read this "Sticky" at the top of the CPU Forum:

Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master

While I agree that SpeedFan is sometimes wrong out of the box, it is highly configurable and can also be calibrated.

I have used SpeedFan for many years through different versions. Although it has a learning curve and can initially be a little difficult to master, once you learn how to tweak it up, I've found it to be as accurate as Core Temp and Real Temp (developed exclusively for Intel processors).

I especially find the "Charts" feature useful for graphically visualizing how various games differently utilize processor and graphics resources, to which Core temperatures and GPU temperatures respond instantly.

SpeedFan is also featured in the Intel Temperature Guide. You may have never seen SpeedFan used in this way. Here's an example:

"The "Charts" in SpeedFan span 13 minutes, and show how each test creates different thermal signatures.

Shown above from left to right: Small FFT's, Blend, Linpack and Intel Burn Test."

You might want to give the Temp Guide a read.

CT :sol:

SoNic67

Distinguished
First time I have used SpeedFan like 10 years ago. I am aware of the intricacies involved, but for an average user I think it will generate some false readings and confusion.
Personally, I didn't use it maybe a year... relying mostly on CoreTemp now (I gave up on AMD CPU's like 7 years ago, switched on mostly Dell computers - and speedfan is often wrong on the custom motherboards (Dell, HP).