(12) United States Patent
Cormack et al.
(io) Patent No.: (45) Date of Patent:
US 7,070,501 B2 Jul. 4, 2006
(54) GAMING MACHINE WITH FREE GAME PLAY
(75) Inventors: William George Cormack, Lane Cove (AU); Leonard Bruce Woods, Lane Cove (AU); Russel James Gartner, Lane Cove (AU); Craig William Allardice, Lane Cove (AU)
(73) Assignee: Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty
Ltd., New South Wales (AU)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 662 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/205,166
(22) Filed: Jul. 25, 2002
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2003/0069056 Al Apr. 10, 2003
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Jul. 25, 2001 (AU) PR 6586
(51) Int. CI.
A63F 9/24 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 463/16; 463/12; 463/20;
(58) Field of Classification Search None
See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
5,342,047 A * 8/1994 Heidel et al 463/29
5,647,798 A * 7/1997 Falciglia 463/19
5,935,002 A * 8/1999 Falciglia 463/19
5,951,397 A * 9/1999 Dickinson 463/36
5,971,849 A * 10/1999 Falciglia 463/16
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—Mark Sager
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—Greenberg Traurig, LLP
A gaming machine 10 has a display 12 and a game controller arranged to control images of symbols displayed on the display 12. The game controller is arranged to play a game wherein at least one random event is caused to be displayed on the display 12 and, if a predefined winning event occurs, the machine 10 awards a prize. The game controller monitors and stores data relating to a number of free games awarded to a player during a playing session. The gaming machine 10 includes a selector for operation by the player so that the player can choose when, during the playing session, any free game is to be played.
21 Claims, 11 Drawing Sheets