(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,290,702 Bi
Fucci et al. (45) Date of Patent: Sep. 18,2001
(54) CANNULATED TISSUE ANCHOR SYSTEM
(75) Inventors: Joseph Fucci, Palm Harbor; T. Dan
Moore, St. Petersburg, both ol FL (US)
(73) Assignee: Linvatec Corporation, Largo, FL (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/591,374
(22) Filed: Jun. 9, 2000
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 09/141,175, filed on Aug. 26, 1998, now Pat. No. 6,146,387.
(51) Int. C I. A61B 17/56
(52) U.S. CI 606/72; 606/75; 606/104;
(58) Field of Search 606/72, 73, 75,
606/104; 411/451, 452, 456
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A system for inserting a cannulated tissue anchor during endoscopic surgical procedures. The system incorporates an elongated generally cylindrical tissue anchor having a plurality of barbs outwardly extending from its body and a transverse head situated at its proximal end. The head is elongated along a major axis which is misaligned relative to the rows of barbs on the body of the tissue anchor in order to enhance retention of the anchor within selected tissue. The anchor may be inserted during an endoscopic surgical procedure by a single-handed operation utilizing an instrument having a longitudinally slidable needle for guiding the anchor into place and a longitudinally slidable push rod for pushing the anchor along the needle. The system incorporates a package/loading device to facilitate the assembly of a cannulated tissue anchor with the inserter, the package/ loading device being provided with a means for guiding the inserter needle through the axial bore of the tissue anchor.
4 Claims, 19 Drawing Sheets