(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
Malyak et al.
(54) OPTICAL DESIGNS FOR SCANNING BEAM DISPLAY SYSTEMS USING FLUORESCENT SCREENS
(76) Inventors: Phillip H. Malyak, Canton, MA
(US); Gregory G. Cappiello,
Windham, NH (US); James T.
McCann, Marlow, NH (US); John
Uebbing, Palo Alto, CA (US);
John M. Watson, Haverhill, MA
(US); Roger A. Hajjar, San Jose,
FISH & RICHARDSON, PC
P.O. BOX 1022
MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55440-1022
(21) Appl. No.: 11/510,495
(22) Filed: Aug. 24, 2006
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/779,261, filed on Mar. 3, 2006, provisional application No. 60/800,870, filed on May 15, 2006.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Mar. 31, 2006 (US) PCT/US06/11757
(51) Int. CI.
G02B 26/08 (2006.01)
Scanning beam display systems based on scanning light on a fluorescent screen. The screen can include fluorescent materials which emit visible light under excitation of the scanning light to form images with the emitted visible light. Multiple lasers can be used to simultaneously scan multiple laser beams to illuminate the screen for enhanced display brightness. For example, the multiple laser beams can illuminate one screen segment at a time and sequentially scan multiple screen segments to complete a full screen.